Here’s the Tiber scoop on how to get your skin looking it’s best so that every day is a happy glowy day.
I’m obsessed with skin health, not just because it’s part of my job to but because I think it’s important to maintain good skincare rituals so you can put your best face forward (as we at Tiber always say). I love helping others feel confident in their skin and being able to provide them tried and true skincare tips. I’ve done some research to learn about what’s “buzzy” for glowy skin care regimens, tried nearly remedy and old wive’s tale out there on my “moody” skin, and here are my best recommendations. Try a few of these easy tips and you may notice a difference in just a few weeks!
Nourish from the inside out
What you put on your skin matters but you should be mindful of what you’re putting IN your body as well. I do a lot of work with a local dietitian (stay tuned for a post about nutrition tips for healthy skin) and here is what I’ve learned from her:
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water. Did you know that skin is your body’s biggest organ and it is largely made up of H2O?
- Eat your fruits + veggies
- Fruits and vegetables contain vitamins and nutrients that feed your skin and help combat free-radicals that damage and age your skin. Some of my favourite vitamin-rich foods are citrus, broccoli, red peppers, kale, papaya, and berries. An easy rule to follow is typically the darker the fruit or vegetable, the more nutrient dense it is!
- Tiber story; My grandpa eats carrots every day (for nearly all his life) and I swear this is why he has THE most firm and radiant complexion. He’s 75 though you’d never guess it! Carrots are chock-full of beta carotene and Vitamin A that acts as an antioxidant which promotes healthy skin cell growth, giving you glowy skin. I’m not suggesting you eat ONLY carrots but this might be good example of how eating nutrient-dense skin healthy fruits and vegetables can help your complexion.
- Avoid refined sugars and simple carbohydrates (processed food)
- It will not only improve the look of your skin, you’ll also feel better overall! Your body responds to sugar spikes with inflammation which produces enzymes that break down collagen and elastin. These are key components in keeping your skin firm and supple.
Protect your skin from the sun:
- You’ve heard this time and time again, especially in the summer months. The sun’s powerful rays are damaging to the skin and overexposure can cause burning which leads to wrinkling, discoloration, and potentially skin cancer. Limit your exposure and protect your skin by:
- Applying (and reapplying) sunscreen. I’m a nut about wearing sunscreen! I have fair-olivey skin and I am very prone to burning and getting sun spots. My friends and family have become avid sunscreeners too – I suspect it’s mostly to keep me from nagging them but hey, it works!
- Put on a hat – believe it or not the skin on your head is susceptible to burning too! A wide brimmed hat will protect your face and your scalp.
- Wear sunnies (to protect your eyes and also the skin around your eyes)
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothing to cover your skin
Beauty sleep is real
- Panda bears are SUPER cute but tired panda eyes sure don’t look cute on us. I know when I don’t get enough sleep, the next morning I am sure to hear “you look tired are you sick?”
- Your body recovers and regenerates while you’re asleep, which means that your body is also working to repair your skin to combat those dark circles among other things.
- It is recommended that you get anywhere from 7-9 hours of sleep a night. How many hours are you getting right now?! Try shutting off your phone one hour before bedtime to let your mind and body wind down. You can use an app to help remind you when to start getting ready for bed – I’ve started doing this and can say that it’s been working so far!
Exfoliate then moisturize + wash your face before bed
- Removing the dirt and makeup off your face lets your skin breathe so it can regenerate and fully reap the benefits of your moisturizer overnight. Use Rebel With a Cause pre-cleanser to wash away the remnants of the day.
- Exfoliating removes dead dry skin cells from your face, allowing fresh new skin to shine through. Try our Buff Stuff Scrub mixed with our creamy Grab Life by the Pomegranates Cleanser.
- Seal your routine with our best-selling Green Tea Tonic and add a twist by moisturizing your whole face with our Eyes Scream for Rice Cream.
- The Eyes Scream for Rice Cream is a magical product that helps tighten and brighten the skin around your eyes. I like to use it on my whole face at night to wake up with the most dewy, glowy skin. (Seriously, I go to work with just this moisturizer on my face, no makeup – it’s that good!)
- PS you should be washing your face in the morning too but I assume that’s a given!
Banish the unexpected blemishes
- Our Bye Bye Blemish spot treatment is LOADED with just about everything you could think of that helps clear the odd breakout:
- Rose water, Moroccan lava clay, Salycilic acid, lavender oil, rosemary oil, naiouli oil, patchouli oil, sea salt, white willow bark, green tea.
- OR try my personal favourite quick fix, the Mind Mender Roll-On. That tingly sensation when you apply it? You can FEEL it working! I don’t always carry around Bye Bye Blemish but I do have a Mind Mender in my purse at all times so it is the perfect on-the-go remedy.
- This essential oil blend has lavender, peppermint, and rosemary which all help soothe irritations and are antibacterial and antiseptic. I personally find that it helps reduce swelling, redness, and relieves itching.
Stop touching your face
- You don’t know what types of nasties are lurking on your hands, you use them and touch things all day – definitely do not want to transfer oils and bacteria from your hands to your face.
- Avoid picking at bumps or breaking the skin – it could cause more inflammation and redness to the skin. I suffered from mild acne for the better part of last year and trust me, I know how tempting it is to constantly touch your face and pick at things. The only thing it did was cause more damage to my skin and I felt like it spread the bacteria. Once I stopped doing that I noticed my skin started to heal on it’s own and clear up a bit more.
- Leave the pimple popping to a professional! The estheticians at our Tiber spas give the most amazing facials and they are trained to deal with extractions and your skin irregularities. We just launched brand new ilike facial products in our spas! Visit one of our locations to try an “All About You Personalized Facial” – you’ll walk out of there feeling relaxed with your skin looking instantly glowy and radiant.
These are just a few of my recommendations that are easy to implement into your daily routine. Try them, let me know what you think, and if you have any tips of your own that you’d like to share I’d love to hear from you! Contact me at email@example.com.
Name: Thao Lam
Location: Happiness Headquarters – Winnipeg
Position: Officially? I’m the Office Manager/Marketing Coordinator. What do I actually do? A little bit of everything! I started with Tiber in October of 2016 and since then my role has been ever changing and evolving. I maintain the office services and functions, manage Tiber’s social media, develop creative content, plan catalogues, style photoshoots, plan events, and I write content!
Skin Type: Moody. What exactly does this mean? My skin (much like myself) prefers routine and balance. It reacts poorly to changes and I suffer from the odd breakout. I have fair/olive-y skin that is super sensitive to the sun, seasonal and environmental changes.
Check out one of our previous blogs that explain the different Tiber Skin Personas!
My favourite Tiber products: Eyes Scream for Rice Cream. You Can’t Crack Me Up. Bubblicious Shampoo. Mind Mender Roll On. Grab Life by the Pomegranates. Muscle Relief Epsom Bath Salts.
About Me in 5 points:
- I’m obsessed with my dog Toby. You might spot him as the unofficial spokespuppy of the Tiber Pet’s line!
- I like to swim, spin, run, and do yoga.
- I LOVE food and I like to cook and checking out local restaurants so keeping active (2) helps me stay balanced when I overindulge. Did anyone do le Burger Week?!
- I moonlight as a piano teacher when I’m not working at Happiness Headquarters!
- I’m a shopaholic and I love a good pair of white jeans and grey cashmere sweaters.